Study Guide: Panel of the Expert
Sunday January 22, 2023 | Cedrick Baker, Dan Kent, Emily Morrison, Greg Boyd
As a conclusion to the Sermon on the Mount series, a panel discusses the high points of the series and interacts with the teachings in a personal way, helping us put the words of Jesus into action.
This sermon is actually a panel discussion to serve as a wrap up to the Sermon on the Mount series. The panel includes Greg Boyd, Dan Kent, Emily Morrison, and Cedrick Baker.
The questions that the panel members address include:
- What are some of the highlights to this series that have stood out to you? The panelists discussed things like the call to action and the future orientation of Jesus’
- What teaching was the most impactful for you? With the answers to this question, the focus lay on the internal work that is central to the teachings of the Sermon on the Mount.
- What was the most challenging teaching from this series? The conversation around this question varied widely, but there was one stream of thought that seems to have tied it together, that is, the challenge of trying to live non-violently.
- What was the most surprising thing from the Sermon on the Mount? The responses to this question revolved around the unexpected blessing found in seeing new things in a set of verses that were quite familiar.
- Think back on the sermons from this series. What are some things that stood out to you the most? What immediately pops into your mind?
- How have you been impacted by this series? How have you changed?
- What teachings did you find the most difficult to buy into? How did you respond to them?
- What is something from this series that was unexpected? What do you think God was (and is) doing through this?